(News Writing, Audio Editing, Interviewing, and Presentation)
Delivery: 24 hours (4 days)
Course Type: Broadcast
The CMTO’s News and Current Affairs Package is a four-day Pathways training program (6 hours face to face or 4 hours online per day) that covers various aspects of creating news and current affairs pieces for Community Radio volunteers and Stations.
At the end of the package, participants will be able to make better radio programs and produce content related to news and current affairs.
The training will include plenty of time for discussions amongst students around issues and topics currently or historically impacting the Station’s communities. There will also be a lot of audio examples used to demonstrate different aspects of news writing.
Some news radio examples might include sensitive topics, and your trainer will remind students of this.
News and Current Affairs Package
- News Writing; Building blocks of news writing, style, conventions, technicalities and formats.
- Audio Editing; How and why to edit, edit plans, effects and file management.
- Interviewing; The skill of conducting a successful interview, conduct, technical considerations, scripting and styles.
- Presentation; The foundation of presentation, listener relationship, engagement, perspective and review.
If you are planning on hosting this Pathways Training program, please consider these questions for the CMTO:
- How many people will take part in this training and what are their current skill levels?
- What resources do you have available at your station for training?
- When would you like the training delivered and over what period?
- What do you want out of this program? Is this about improving the on-air news presentation or about learning the skills to produce news and current affairs packages?
These details will help the CMTO prepare your trainer to deliver the outcomes you are looking for.
CMTO Pathways courses do not lead to an NRT AQF certification.